Summer 1991, I was board with my ’73 Charger and no one wanted to buy it for $1500. I stumbled upon a young kid who was moving from Virginia to Kentucky, and he needed some help selling his 1969 SuperBee. I looked at his car and asked him if he’d consider a straight up trade – my Charger for his Bee? He agreed and I made arrangements to have his car towed to a friend of mine’s house.
It was originally light blue with black interior, 383 Magnum, 4 speed, 3.91 Sure Grip, Hemi Suspension car. He had recently installed a pro-built 440 Magnum, Hemi 4 speed trans, and had the car painted Plum Crazy Purple; but that’s where he had stopped – nothing under the hood was hooked up. Since my Charger had been my daily driver, I rode my bicycle and bummed rides from my (now ex-)wife to get to work for the next 4 weeks. On the weekends, I’d drive our 2nd car (1989 Nissan pickup) over to my buddy’s house to work on the car. The problem that had stumped the previous owner was that the engine had a 172 tooth flywheel and an aluminum bellhousing (which is intended for 143 tooth flywheel). I had a good used 143 tooth flywheel from the 1971 Challenger R/T that I had previously parted out, which I had resurfaced and then installed. The rest of the wiring & hoses was a snap, and quickly I had the car up and running. I also re-used the 4 barrel air cleaner base plate that had come from my 1971 Charger R/T (the green one).
The 440 was nice & snappy, the trans & differential worked great, but the drum brakes always pulled to the left. The first time I drove it to work (Manassas Dodge), a 19 year old kid happened to stop by and he said he wanted to buy the car. We agreed on a $4,000 price and he gave me a $200 deposit. 2 weeks later he paid the rest of the balance and I was back to bumming rides.
R22 S15 H31 M21 M26 M85 N85 N96 V1X A01 A62 B31 D57 H11 B3 H2X X9 WM23 E63 D21 128 069141