- of, relating to, or characteristic of all or the whole: universal experience.
- applicable everywhere or in all cases; general: a universal cure.
- affecting, concerning, or involving all: universal military service.
- used or understood by all: a universal language.
- something that may be applied throughout the universe to many things, usually thought of as an entity that can be in many places at the same time.
- a trait, characteristic, or property, as distinguished from a particular individual or event, that can be possessed in common, as the care of a mother for her young.
As a mechanic, I’ve got another definition of this word: “Universal – designed to fit nothing“.
Ever had a “universal muffler hangar” that actually fit the pipe you were trying to attach it to?
Or a “universal car cover” that fit the contours of your car, at least good enough so that it didn’t slide right off?
Or a “universal wiring harness” that actually worked without doing a ton of modifications?
Or a “universal battery hold-down” that didn’t need any modifications?
Of course you didn’t. Universal products are NOT made to fit your car, or ANY car, for that matter.